Sunday, October 28, 2007

Crime....Why?


I'm getting tired of shooting flowers, wreaths and candles in front of businesses. In the past month we have had 2 deadly market shootings and in the past week 2 murders at restaurants.

Today I covered the murder of an 18 year old employee (Josh Cole) and 33 year old manager (Chris Caris) at Bellacino's on White Bridge Road in Nashville. The sad part about this is that the "robbery" now appears to be an "execution." A former employee (fired for stealing money) is now the main suspect for the "execution style" deaths of the 2 sandwich shop workers. The accused is 21 year old Jason Bobo.
The family of Josh was VERY nice and you can tell they were all close. The outpouring for Josh was amazing and everyone loved him. I can honestly say that in the 8 years of TV news I have done...I have not shot more touching and emotional video than on this story...and it all comes back to everyone's love for Josh. It is clear from both the community, and police that there was NO reason for the murder.
Now I grew up in this town...and stories like this were few and far between. But they are beginning to become more commonplace. It seems like every week we are covering a shooting in a business or a funeral of a shooting victim. I wish I could say I have the answer...but I'm afraid it is just part of the end times. I have noticed (over the years) since my childhood... that morals have morphed from societal absolutes to personal preference. There seems to be a moral relativism in the world. If you are against someone's behavior and vocal about it...then you are considered a purveyor of hate speech. Certain things once forbidden are now encouraged and the moral line keeps moving further and further away. Moral is now "what is right for you."
So I'm afraid that the forces pushing the moral line have now created a monster. We have generations of kids growing up not being taught right from wrong...because there is no wrong!
If someone thinks what you are doing is wrong...then take offense! They must hate you for some reason!
You see... in one example of the recent killings, a teenager came back and shot a store owner after the teen was stopped from shoplifting. In the most recent event... the suspect it seems came back for revenge after being fired for stealing money.
"How dare you tell me I can't steal! It is my right and if you don't like it then you are a bigot!"
That is the attitude of many of today's youth. And now it is turning into "How dare you tell me I can't kill!"
Hmmmm. Stealing...Killing... I know where those things are listed.

The 10 Commandments!

But you know something. I think the 10 commandments have been taken out of our classrooms and out of our public buildings.

You see ... in the name of tolerance... our nation has become intolerant of Christian principles. Everything is ok to do or believe in... unless it involves Christ. And why? Christ was the most loving and non-violent person in history. Heck, He DIED on the cross for our salvation and healing! How is that dangerous to society? Our free speech as turned into free speech (except for Christians). Public Muslim schools? They are allowed... but not Public Christian schools?
You see where I am going?
Near the end "even the elect if possible will be deceived." We are being fed poison by society and buying in to it. When we throw away our morals... we throw away our freedom. We come that much closer to welcoming a police state. You think I'm kidding? Well when a certain percentage of society sees no reason not to steal, kill or whatever...then how will order be restored? We are turning over our country and don't even realize it.
The bible says that Satan has come to "steal, kill and destroy"...but Jesus "gives life" and he gives it more abundantly." When you let Jesus into your heart, you are freed from the shackles of sin. True Christians aren't close minded... we just see the light and feel the freedom in Christ. It is painful to see the world turning into what it is. As a Christian you are in this world...but not of this world. You are to be a light for all to see.
Remember that the basis of Christianity is love... when you deny Christ...you deny love. What is left in the absence of love? HATE. So the very thing that so many people are trying to avoid by turning to every thing but Christ...could be avoided just by accepting Him. Ironic...isn't it.
So as society spirals (and I shoot it through the lens of my news camera), I can only try to be a light for those left hurting. My identity is not what I do, or who I know, or my sexuality, or my financial status... my Identity is Christ. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. When He is your identity... guess what... you can't be offended! You can be concerned and hurt about the chaos you see around you... but you can't be offended. You can shine...and possibly be used by Him to bring some peace to this fallen world while at the same time having peace in your heart because you know that you know that you know that you feel the love of Jesus every day and night.

So I guess that Jesus is the only solution. The robberies, murders and juvenile crime....a by product of what society has molded into. Break the mold...accept Christ... He is your ONLY hope. "You will live forever if you soften your heart." He is knocking at your door...let Him in...you will feel a greater love than you have ever felt before.

In His Grip,
Cam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tragic situation indeed, but if you think posting the 10 commandments in classrooms would solve this problem, you are sadly mistaken.

Anonymous said...

That is only part of it...Unless you accept Jesus you can't understand the rest.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I accept Jesus as being completely unnecessary.

Happy now?

Why people continue to believe in 2000 year old fairy tales is beyond me.