Sunday, July 16, 2006

Retail Gangs

I was called into work last night at 9:30. There had been a shooting at Opry Mills.
No reporters were available...so I went solo. The exits from Briley Pky. were blocked...but the officer waved me past in my unmarked newscar. I arrived to find a crowd of parents on cellphones being held back by police. The kids could come to the parents...but no one was allowed to the mall.

After traffic from the mass exodus cleared a bit...police began to let people in. I followed a mom running and waving her arms to find her children.
It turns out that 2 gangs were in the mall and started stacking gang signs at eachother. The buildup resulted in a gunshot...injuring 2 members of one of the gangs.
People in the mall described the scene as pandamonium...running....jumping...yelling...crying.

Don Aaron (Metro Police PIO) commented that the police have been working to rid the Hickory Hollow Mall of gangs and that maybe, as a result, a couple of the gangs decided to hang out at Opry Mills.

In today's society it seems that almost no place is safe...but there is an answer to that. The bible seems to have an answer for every situation, and this one is covered by Psalm 91.

Psalm 91 (Contemporary English Version)

Psalm 91

The LORD Is My Fortress
1Live under the protection

of God Most High

and stay in the shadow

of God All-Powerful.

2Then you will say to the LORD,

"You are my fortress,

my place of safety;

you are my God,

and I trust you."

3The Lord will keep you safe

from secret traps

and deadly diseases.

4He will spread his wings

over you

and keep you secure.

His faithfulness is like

a shield or a city wall. [a]

5You won't need to worry

about dangers at night

or arrows during the day.

6And you won't fear diseases

that strike in the dark

or sudden disaster at noon.

7You will not be harmed,

though thousands fall

all around you.

8And with your own eyes

you will see

the punishment

of the wicked.

9The LORD Most High

is your fortress.

Run to him for safety,

10and no terrible disasters

will strike you

or your home.

11God will command his angels

to protect you

wherever you go.

12They will carry you

in their arms,

and you won't hurt your feet

on the stones.

13You will overpower

the strongest lions

and the most deadly snakes.

14The Lord says,

"If you love me

and truly know who I am,

I will rescue you

and keep you safe.

15When you are in trouble,

call out to me.

I will answer and be there

to protect and honor you.

16You will live a long life

and see my saving power."

Trust in God...He won't let you down.
-Cam



No comments: